Why Every Writer Needs a Blog

Hey everyone and welcome to Fishing for Ideas! I’m so excited to get started! I know many blogs start with a “The Purpose of This Blog” post, or something along those lines, but I’m going to attack this from a different angle. Instead of telling the purpose of my blog , I’m going to give you some reasons about why I decided to start a blog.

So here goes:



  • It gives us a place to practice our writing.
Yep, that’s right! You actually get chances to practice writing on a blog. (who knew?)
  • It gives us the opportunity to connect with other writers.
I’m not sure about you folks, but I don’t know very many writers. (Personally, that is. Well, except for my brothers, which doesn’t count.) You guys may be in vastly different situations, but for me, this reason is legit. Having a blog is a great way to connect with other people who share your interests and can encourage you along the way.
  • It gives us a place to share our writing.
Yes, I know. This one can be HARD. Opening up to the world like that (because pretty much anyone can see your blog if it’s public) can leave us feeling vulnerable and exposed. But it’s important to get out of your comfort zone and SHARE THAT WRITING. Guess what? You may be surprised that your writing actually isn’t as horrible as you had thought. (And don’t tell me you have never thought your writing is horrible before. Trust me, we all have those phases.)
  • It gives us a valuable tool for improvement.
Once you get over the whole “My writing is awful no one will like it I can’t bring myself to share it with anyone” thing and actually share your writing, then guess what? Even if some people don’t like it (romances aren’t for everyone. Ahem, ahem.), others will.  And when people criticize, just use that as a springboard to improve your writing. Don’t let it get you down. Instead, show them you appreciate and consider their suggestions. Does this mean you have to take the suggestions of every single person who ever reads anything you write? Absolutely not! You’re the writer; it’s your choice. But considering the suggestions of others is a definite way to improve. Especially when the aforementioned “others” are potential publishers. (Or published authors. Envy, envy!)
  • It helps us stay motivated to keep on writing.
We all have those days. Those days when you feel like you can’t do anything but sit on the couch and eat. (Yes, eating is an important part of that.) But when you have a blog with followers who are expecting you to post, BOOM! Motivation level skyrockets. Now that you know you need to get something out there to satisfy those hungry followers, you’ll naturally be much more inclined to write- well, something.
  • It gives us an excuse to write in something other than our precious novels, or autobiographies, or novellas, or whatever you’re writing.
I know, I know. Your first reaction to that may be “My novel is amazing I would never want to write in anything else.” But let’s be real. We all get tired of writing in the same project over and over and over again. And while these projects still remain our primary focus, every once in a while, we long to write something new. A blog is a nice way to mix things up, and get more practice in more varieties of writing.
  • MOST PUBLISHED AUTHORS HAVE ONE!! (or a website)
Like, not even kidding, nearly every author I can think of either has a blog or website or both. It’s a great way to get publicity and to tell about your book.
So, there’s my first post. Hope you all enjoyed!

~ Jonathan

  


Share this:

,

CONVERSATION

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with everyone of these reasons! Having a blog has helped me so much in my writing, and it's connected me with a lot of other amazing writers I probably would never have heard about did I not have a blog.
    And It really does help to have something to "write" other then your current WIP. Whenever I need a break, I tend to write a blog post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm connecting with a bunch of amazing writers too, and I also tend to blog when I need a break! :)

      Delete