Fishing for Lit: Light of the Last

So I've been meaning to do book reviews here pretty frequently but... yeah I think I got a little distracted. 11 posts, and not one book review. So DISCLAIMER: you'll probably be seeing book reviews here pretty often.


Anyways, on to the review.

(NOTE: Although this is book three of the series, there are really no spoilers. So you can feel safe reading this. :)

I know. The word "the" is on this cover. Which really threw me, cause it's not on mine. *shrugs* I like it better as just Light of the Last anyways.


Light of the Last by Chuck Black

  • From the back cover
After an accident left him temporarily blind, Drew Carter didn't just regain his sight. He now sees what others can't imagine- an entire spiritual realm of mighty beings at war.

Forget the gift, Drew just wants his life back. Part of that involves Sydney Carlyle, a woman he is inexplicably drawn to. When he's offered the chance to become a CIA agent, it seems a way to redeem his past. The only problem- his visions of the supernatural realm are increasing in frequency.

It's up to the warrior angel Validus and his hand-picked team of heavenly agents to protect the unbelieving Drew. Validus now knows that the young man is at the epicenter of a global spiritual war, and the angels must use a millennia of battle experience to keep Drew alive, for the Fallen want him dead.

Surrounded by spiritual warriors and targeted by demons, Drew's faced with an impossible decision that will forever alter the destiny of America... and his own soul.

  • My thoughts before reading
This series got off to a really good start. The first book, Cloak of the Light, was my favorite when I first read it. But book two, Rise of the Fallen, pretty much ruined the series for me.

Basically what happens is book one ends in a cliffhanger and then book two takes the time to go over everything that happened in book one from a different character's perspective. Which probably would have been fine. I wouldn't have liked it, but I would have been okay with it.

But it was told from the perspective of an angel. I CAN'T RELATE TO YOU BRO I'M SORRY. At all. And personally, I really didn't care at all about the angel, not even after having read an entire book with him as the protagonist. I mean, he's basically an immortal being. But, I knew Drew was FINALLY BACK for book three. *cheers*

So I had mediumish expectations for this book. I didn't like book two, but, I mean, FINALLY we get to find out what happens.

And with that (very dramatic) summary, it sounds amazing, right???

But by the end of the book, I was a little disappointed. Neither book three nor book two was able to maintain the same feeling as book one.

  • My thoughts after reading
Me 250 pages in:

"WHOA that escalated quickly."

Well... this book didn't turn out to be everything I expected. First off, I was a little confused. All this CIA stuff is... well, confusing. And all of the tech language from Drew's genius friend was a little over my head. Combine that with the bio-whatever terms thrown it at the end, and you've got one confused reader. Aka, me.

Plus, the amount of guys Sydney has been involved with since book one seems a little over blown to me.

And remember how I said everything escalates quickly? It does, which made the ending seem to me rather disappointing and anti-climactic.

  • What I liked
I LOVED THE ACTION SEQUENCES. The conspiracy was well developed, but really wasn't prominent in the book. Until the end, of course. I'm telling you, it escalates at, like, the speed of light. When everything explodes into nation-wide chaos. 

  • What I didn't really like
So I was literally confused for the entire book about who the villain is, and who's shooting at who. Cause there's the possibility of terrorists, rogue CIA agents, this other really-high-up-there Muslim organization (which I think was related to the terrorists...), and the UN. I think.

So amidst all the shooting, I was kinda wondering who was shooting at Drew and why. There were a few times when it was clear (mostly at the end when things start getting CRAZY), but more when I had no idea who Drew was up against. I FINALLY figured out what the terrorist plot thingy was about, so I get some credit. :) (And I know what you're thinking. HE JUST TOLD US THERE'S A TERRORIST PLOT THAT WAS A SPOILER!!!! Fear not! It wasn't. If I had told you what the plot was, that would've been a spoiler. But this wasn't. :P)

Also, the storyline sorta just sorta meandered along (until the last 75 pages, in which everything sorta just explodes). With no recognizable villain or story goal, I was sorta left wondering exactly what Drew was trying to achieve. I mean, other than save America from destruction, of course. :P

Oh, and the anticlimactic ending was a little frustrating. Obviously. :P

  • My recommendation
I probably would have enjoyed this book a lot more if I would have had it to read directly after I finished book one (because you can probably skip book two and be fine). So I give this book 3/5 worms. :P

If you've already read the other two books in the series, by all means, read the last one. But if you haven't, then I don't really think it's worth it to read all three books. (I BLAME IT ALL ON BOOK TWO, PEOPLE. BOOK TWO!!!!!) You could maybe skip book two, though.

But it's your choice. I know people who love these books (including book two), so you may want to give them a shot. :)

~ Jonathan





Share this:

, ,

CONVERSATION

8 comments:

  1. Aw, I'm bummed. :( I haven't read the series yet, but I was hoping it would be good. But I guess it's no surprise if you've read any of the author's other series. Hi, by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Marie! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Here's a contrasting view, just so you can get both sides of the story before making your final decision about whether or not to read the series:

      http://reviewsbysoleil.blogspot.com/2016/03/the-light-of-last.html

      Delete
  2. Wow, you write really thorough book reviews! Don't worry, I've yet to do one either :P I hadn't heard of this book series and the back cover blurb does intrigue me, but it's always disappointing when not all of the books are satisfying :/ And how clever to offer a contrasting article so everyone has balanced reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I know. I tend to be thorough.
      Yeah, the series just didn't feel consistent to me. The synopsis is really awesome, though. :)
      Thanks! I always like to do that if I'm negative because... well just because. I typically tend to be more positive, though. :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for letting us know! I just found this author and read book 1 in The Kingdom series. I really enjoyed it. Is this the only book by him you've read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. *is nostalgic* That's my childhood, right there. :) I loved those books, along with his other series. His new series starts out good, but then sorta drops off. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the second one at all. Though it wasn't quite what I was expecting, I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Same with "Light of the Last". I think there should be another trilogy about Ben... :D
    I adore Chuck Black's books. I'm 20 and the Knights of Arrethtrae are still some of my utmost favourite books ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEAH he should write a trilogy about Ben. And yeah I love the Knights of Arrethtrae! My favorite is Sir Bentley. Because, I mean, SEA DRAGONS. :D

      Delete