Five Biographies That Will Inspire You to Live for a Purpose

Biographies. The stories of other's lives. Today (in this relatively short and serious post) we're discussing a few which I found particularly inspiring. We've all read a couple at some point, but here's five of my personal favorites.




1. Unbroken by Laura Hilldenbrand

This book was amazing. The details alone were enough to make my mouth drop, but the story was amazing. Unbroken tells the story of Louis Zamperini, the son of an Italian immigrant family. Louis's plans for life as a famous Olympic runner are interrupted when World War 2 strikes. Louis joins up with the Air Force, but when his plane crashes over the Pacific Ocean, he finds himself stranded at sea. Until he's rescued- by the Japanese. It's a story of resilience and redemption amidst the horrors of World War 2. But just a note, while this book does contain graphic violence and some language, it is merely an accurate representation of the facts and not gratuitous. Still, consider yourself warned!


2. Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus by Nabeel Qureshi

What happens when a devout Muslim decides to take the time to really study Christianity? This book, technically an autobiography, tells of Nabeel's journey to a relationship with Jesus Christ. It contains lots of fascinating information about the Muslim culture and what they believe. I also really liked how it shows evangelism through cultivating strong relationships, not just one time interaction (like passing out tracts), although God does definitely use that, too.


3. Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas

Who was Dietrich Bonhoeffer? I'm sure many of you have heard the name, but this extensive book will tell you everything you might want to know. Bonhoeffer was a Christian pastor living in World War 2 Germany. He was a pillar of resistance against the Nazi regime, and helped Jews and Christians in Germany. He sets an admirable example of unwavering faith and devotion. Here's one of Bonhoeffer's most famous quotes:
   "When Christ calls a man, he bids him come and die."


4. I Would Die for You by Brent and Deanna Higgins

This book is probably the least well-known on the list, but still totally worth the read! (Especially considering it's not very long. Less than 200 pages, I think.) I Would Die for You is about a teenage guy who contracted a disease on the mission field and died from it. Written by his parents, it contains many insights into his life, including his journal entries. This book inspired me to live my faith out in my everyday life.


5. Through My Eyes by Tim Tebow

This one's for all you football fans out there! (GO BRONCOS!!) This book tells Tim Tebow's story- from his own eyes. It details how he came to be a professional football player, and the struggles along the way. Tim Tebow is a great example of living your faith out in all aspects of your life, including sports.


So what do you guys think? Are there any I missed, or that I should read? Which of the list have you read? Does anyone have any thoughts on why we should read biographies, or shouldn't? (I was going to include that in the post, but didn't. It was completely arbitrary, so don't ask. But I'd love to hear what everyone thinks!)

~ Jonathan

     

Share this:

, ,

CONVERSATION

11 comments:

  1. Unbroken! Harsh movie and book. I didn't read it, but my mom did and she showed me pictures and I just about lost it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the pics are a little disturbing. The book was so much better than the movie, though. The movie took out probably more than a quarter of the end of the book. Of course, the end of the book was my favorite part... :p

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of these, but a couple have been on my reading list for at least a year. *embarrassed cough* Yeah, goes to show what happens to my free time during the school year.
    You're a Bronco's fan, huh? I know a couple, but from where I come from Seahawks are the craze. ;) Not that I'm much of a football fan...but my brothers are big fans of the Huskies. (They're a college team you may or may not have heard of. :P)
    Thanks for the post! All the books looked really good. Added to my LONG list of too-reads. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe yeah my TBR list is long also. I don't read as much as I used to now that I'm drafting a novel. Funny how that works... :)
      YES GO BRONCOS! And it's lucky for you that you're NOT a Sea Hawks fan. I will say no more. ;)

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of these, but they all sound amazing. "Unbroken" is on my TBR list for this year, so hopefully that will happen. :P Have you seen the movie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the movie was sorta... meh, *shrug*. I didn't dislike it, but the book was a lot better. The movie was like, really long, and it still took out the end of the book. :(

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting to read Unbroken and Bonhoeffer for a long time now, you're descriptions of them both make me even more interested. I should really get them on my reading list soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES ADD THEM! :) They're really good. Although Bonhoeffer is a bit daunting...

      Delete
  5. I have to admit I have read none of these. I have heard of Unbroken, Bonhoeffer, and Through My Eyes. I really have to be in the mood to read a biography, but when I crack down and read one they always really impact me.

    I highly recommend The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom and Mimosa by Amy Carmichael. I haven't read either one recently, but I was effected by both. The one that I couldn't put down and cried my way through more recently was The Insanity of God by Nik Ripken :) I also find Eric Liddell and George Muller interesting men to study :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me too. It's a lot harder for me to read nonfiction, but I do enjoy it when I do.

      Oh, yes, The Hiding Place was good. I haven't read the other ones... *goes to look some up* :)

      Delete
  6. Seeking Allah Finding Jesus is AMAZING. My family listened to the book on tape in the car awhile back, and I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete