Fishing for Lit: The House on the Corner by Michael Rains



From the Back Cover

For a long time, Chester, we... that is, Auntie and I and William, and a whole lot of people, we only sort of felt something might be happening around us, something we weren't really sure what it was... When Chester visits his Uncle William's stuffy house, he's only trying to avoid cleaning the hall bathroom. But a single clue written on a gum wrapper may send them all on a frantic journey, across many cities and through places unknown to society, and into a strange war that no one really understands.

Well. I'm afraid I have to be a bit negative today. *sighs*

First of all, if I had to choose one word to describe this book, it would definitely be confusing. It was just very hard to understand what was happening. It all starts out with a gum wrapper (which I never did quite pick up on the significance of) and everything just sorta happens from there.

Also, the characters were flatter than my pancakes (but to be fair my pancakes are light and fluffy THANK YOU VERY MUCH.) None of them really felt like real people to me, they felt like stiff mannequins (even the main character). And for the entire book I didn't quite understand why the main character had to help with whatever they were doing (does that sound confusing? sorry it's hard to write a review for a confusing book without being confusing). He was pretty much just tagging along for the ride, until the end.

The plot sorta just meandered along. I honestly didn't really care what happened to the characters at all, and I would tell you more about the plot, but I may or may not be still trying to figure it out myself.

But another thing that really aggravated me was the prose. *moans* I feel bad about saying this, but it was just not good prose. At all. Probably about a quarter of the sentences could have been rephrased to make them less awkward. And while I'm not one of those people who kills -ly adverbs on sight, the amount scattered through this book was irritating. And then some of them don't even make sense, like I remember once it said "standing harshly." Umm... okay then? I guess maybe that would work...

Overall, the only thing I really liked about this book was the cover. I'm afraid I have to give this one 2 out of 5 worms. And one of those is for the cover. :D

I received this book for free from the publisher through BookLook Bloggers in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed are my own.

*sighs* Well that was such a depressing review. I'M SORRY IF YOU'RE ALL SAD NOW. *hands you sour patch*

Also, in case you were wondering then YES I JOINED A REVIEW PROGRAM. *confetti* This review was a tad different than my others, because they have different guidelines. And I KNOW I haven't blogged in too long but I'm back on top of it this week (I think *coughs*) so look for another post.

Soon.

*dramatic music*

-Jonathan

Share this:

, ,

CONVERSATION

31 comments:

  1. I HATE CONFUSING BOOKS.
    JUST... BLECH. XD (Hunger Games,I'm pointing to you)
    So, thanks to you, Jonathan, I guess if I see this one and think the cover looks awesome, I'll reconsider before I pick it up.
    Looking forward to more bookies, Jonathan, you'd better stick to your word :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD Yes same. Because they're just... well, confusing. :P Plus they're reaaaalllly hard to get into.
      *nods* Don't worry I have another post already written and ready to post. :)

      Delete
    2. YES #firstcomment
      In yo face, Hannah! :P

      Delete
  2. Hmm...I've read my fair share of confusing books. And glowing reviews. I think it was admirable of you to do a less-than-glowing report that was truthful and gave your honest opinion about the story (but I repeat myself).
    Is the next post the Liebester Award, or the Top Ten Villains Tag? Or both? Or should I ask? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *nods* Yep same. Glowing reviews are soooo much more fun though. XD Thanks though. :)
      It's the Top Ten Villains. The Liebster Award and The Infinity Dreams Tag are still in the works. :)

      Delete
    2. Good. I was hoping that might be the next post. ;) I look forward to seeing who you chose. :) I left a lot of good ones open. Just saying.

      Delete
    3. #whoopsididn'tknoweveryoneelsewasdoinghashtags

      Delete
    4. Yes you did. *nods*
      #butstilltenvillainsisachallenge XD It was fun though. :D

      Delete
    5. If you think those are some hashtags, you shoulda seen a status update on the One Year Adventure Novel forum. It was really hard to read, but it was hilarious!! Hashtag city...XD

      Delete
    6. KRYSTAL SHHH the world isn't supposed to know I'm King of Hashtags. :P

      Delete
    7. Your secret is not safe with me. XD (Don't set Phil on my trail, or I'll have to train my platypus to do something to polar bears! I have yet to decide what that is, so you might be safe for a little while...)

      Delete
    8. pffftt I'm not afraid of your platypus. :P

      Delete
    9. You might not be NOW, but just wait...I'll come up with some awesomely ninjaish skill for him. (I'm thinking...I'm thinking...I'm thiiinnnkkkiiiinnngg...) <<<(Night at the Museum 2 quote)

      Delete
    10. Non-OYANers will be very confused about why there's a platypus. XD

      Delete
  3. #firstcomment
    And I like the flatter my pancakes part. Made me laugh.
    The cover does look really cool, but what inside is what counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man didn't realize I wasn't first lol
      Well make that #thirdcomment

      Delete
    2. #nopethird *chuckles* I hadn't published Rebekah's and Hann's yet. XD
      Thanks. :D It's true though. :) (both my fluffy pancakes and the inside that counts. :P )

      Delete
  4. I'm not sad! Sometimes you just get a dud book that deserves a bad review. I know what you mean by confusing books, and I've had several of them. When you finish a confusing book, you just sorta sit there thinking, "What did I just read?!" I had one recently that I wanted to throw across the room because it was weird...I did not though. XD Anyway, I'm looking forward to new posts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very true. :) I probably wouldn't have reviewed it, but I was obligated to since I got it for free. XD

      Delete
  5. #fifthcommentithink
    And I don't mind negative reviews, I like honest ones. This book looks...weird. Hmm.
    I love your humor. XD It makes negative reviews hilarious, honestly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #youthoughtrightnice XD
      *nods* Yes it was very weird. To be honest, I may or may not have requested it on accident. *hides* I'M STILL LEARNING THE ROPES. XD
      Why thank you. :D

      Delete
  6. *accepts sour patch because all sour patch is awesome but watermelon is best* ;)

    Gah. Sounds like a book I wouldn't like anyhow.
    Congrats on joining a review program!!! :D I've joined a couple since becoming part of the Blogosphere – they're awesome. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD yes I love watermelon *nods*

      Well probably not. :( Like I said, rather confusing. Not very Anne of Green Gable-sy at all. XD
      Thanks! They are awesome. :D

      Delete
  7. *Dejected face...cheers up when handed sour patch* I hope to get on Tyndale Publishers review team, but I think that I need thirty followers and I don't have quite that many. I really like every book I've read by Tyndale. :) Thank you for giving us your honest opinion instead of trying to make the book sound good or something. :P

    Books that are confusing are so frustrating. Especially when you have to pay for the book, so at least you got it for free. Looking forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, cool! I'm thinking about joining them also. :) Really? Hmmm... actually yeah I think you do but I think it any social media followers count, not just blog followers. I THINK. Not sure though. XD Don't know if you have any social media, I just have Google+, but just a thought. :D

      XD Yes I know they are. And I actually have another post just about ready to go so I'll probably be posting it tomorrows or Thursday. :)

      Delete
    2. I don't have any other social media—I don't have the time and I'd probably get too addicted. The other publisher that I pick up ANY book I see by is Bethany House. (No, it has nothing to do with the fact that they share my name.) I'd love to join their team too because I know I'd like whatever I read. That would be fun if we both joined Tyndale and read the same book then each posted our review. I'll have to look into it more.

      Delete
    3. XD Same I'm not big on social media myself. I mostly just post my blog. *nods* Yeah it would! I looked them up earlier and couldn't see how to join it though... so same I'll need to look into it some more. XD

      Delete
    4. Here's the link to where you can join: http://www.tyndaleblognetwork.com/5_nav/join.php

      If I did it, I'd probably need to wait until beginning of June. So far, the beginning of my May looks busy. :)

      Delete
    5. Oh cool thanks! :D

      Yep same I'm busy at the moment with Camp and contests and such. XD

      Delete
  8. What a cool cover! I gotta say, even the back cover blurb is confusing. So no wonder the book was strange. It's always such a bummer for a book to turn out like that. But I didn't find your review depressing, I think it proves you're being honest when not every review is 5 worms with exclamation points :D

    Tell me more about how to get in with a review thing. Because free books for honest reviews is totally worth doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD Yeah I was a bit confused when I read it also. I KNOW IT IS. :) Thanks although I hope to write a few more of those. *nods*

      *points* In the above conversation with Bethany you can find the link to Tyndale's website. I do BookLook Bloggers though, here's the link to sign up: http://www.booklookbloggers.com/blogger/request :)

      Delete