Fishing For Lit: If I Run

We have another book review for today, so without further ado, I present to you...


If I Run by Terri Blackstock

Casey knows the truth. But it won't set her free.

Casey Cox's DNA is all over the crime scene. There's no use talking to the police, they've failed her abysmally before. She has to flee before she's arrested... or worse. The truth doesn't matter anymore.

But what is the truth? That's the question haunting Dylan Roberts, the war-weary veteran hired to find Casey. PTSD has marked him damaged goods, but bringing Casey back can redeem him. Though the crime scene seems to tell the whole story, details of the murder aren't adding up. Casey Cox doesn't fit the profile of a killer. But are Dylan's skewed perceptions keeping him from being objective? If she isn't guilty, why did she run?

Unraveling the past and the evidence that condemns her will take more time than he has, but as Dylan's damaged soul intersects with hers, he is faced with two choices. The girl who occupies his every thought is a psychopathic killer... or a selfless hero. And the truth could be the most deadly weapon yet.


So after my last REALLY REALLY thorough review, I've decided to tune this one down a little and just go general.

First off, I was pretty excited to read this book. The cover is awesome, and the synopsis is intriguing. And I was not disappointed.

Overall, I really liked the characters. They had realistic fears and struggle, they weren't superheroes or anything, and they most certainly didn't know it all. In other words, THEY WEREN'T PERFECT ANGELS. (See this post by Rebekah, number 5, for a full explanation on why no one likes perfect characters) They were just trying to do the right thing in bad situations.

Also, the storyline was very well-developed and intriguing, keeping me on my toes as I tried to figure out what was going on. A murder, a kidnapping, corruption, there's a lot going on here. And something isn't right about Casey's father dying years ago...

It was also really cool how there were two perspectives: the hunter and the hunted. It's really quite dramatic, as Dylan closes in and Casey works to solve a few mysteries of her own. They're both discovering different things at different times, which gets really interesting. Especially when we know something Dylan or Casey doesn't.

But just be warned, it's a murder. PEOPLE DIE. *gasps* So yeah it's probably rated PG-13 just because of some violence (and not fantasy, sword-swinging violence, but real violence) and a few mature elements. I'd say 16+.  So you have been warned.


Also, just something else to mention is that the book is book one in what is going to be a three book series, so it's not a stand-alone.

But overall, I liked the book and I give it 4/5 worms. :D

~Jonathan

Share this:

, ,

CONVERSATION

32 comments:

  1. I'll need to check this one out. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good, especially if you like action, suspense, and mystery. :D

      Delete
    2. But Hannah, you're not 16! :P

      Delete
  2. Sounds intriguing! I'm always looking for good clean books without romance that are teenage levels, so if you have any suggestions on that I'd love to hear them!
    ~Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is intriguing! AND YEAH I DIDN'T MENTION THAT OOPS. It doesn't have romance! :D While it isn't technically young adult fiction, and it does have some mature things (like I said, 16+), it was a good read.
      I'll be posting more reviews in the future, so I will! :) :)

      Delete
  3. Suddenly I feel the need to go read this book. *requests violently from library*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suddenly I feel the need to give you a lecture. BE NICE TO THE LIBRARY. They could decide to ban you, and then there goes free reading material. :P

      Delete
    2. It'd take some serious skills to get banned.
      Does this book have a sequel?

      Delete
    3. Trust me I've known you long enough to know you have those skills deep down inside of you waiting to be unleashed on some helpless librarian. :P
      Not yet, but it's gonna be a trilogy. :)

      Delete
    4. The poor librarian. *mellow emojicon* And finally, some halfway decent skills.
      Cool!

      Delete
  4. This looks like a fascinating read. Thanks for making the review! :) I checked out the link and Rebekah made a fabulous post! I'm so glad I took the time to read it! Thanks for sharing it...I'm sure she appreciates you sharing her post, and that you enjoyed it so much! B-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD I'm glad you did too! I'm sure you never would have found her amazing blog without my help. :P

      Delete
  5. okay, noted. I NEED THIS BOOK. In the meantime I'll just be busy staring at the cover and drooling and wishing I were holding it.

    - Emily @ forthebookish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW the cover is stunning and it has a PERFCT color scheme. :D

      Delete
  6. AH! My library has it!!! I'll definitely be giving this one a shot. While reading this kind of investigative book has never been something I've given much thought to, I watch a ton of shows/movies like this, so I might really enjoy it. Thanks for another good book review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray for the library! :) Same. I don't read a ton of books like it either. I'm glad you're giving it a shot though! :D

      Delete
  7. This book looks awesome!
    I watch a bunch of tv shows like this, so I LOOOOOVE action. (Maybe "LOOOOOVE" is too strong? How about, "wholeheartedly enjoy?") The cover/description/review make me want to read it.
    Are there any content warnings besides the violence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh action is cool. (seeing as my book would probably be classified as action that may or may not be slightly prejudiced but still) I KNOW the cover is gorgeous.
      *nods* There's a few other mature things, but I doubt it's anything worse than tv shows. (unless your definition of an action tv show is Andy Griffith XD)

      Delete
  8. Sounds really interesting. I've been needing a good book to read. Maybe, just maybe, this will be it! Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen this book 'around', but I obviously never read the synopsis. Wow! It sounds amazing. ;) Definitely gonna check it out. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The synopsis is VERY well written too. Maybe a tad melodramatized, if you know what I mean, but still good. :)

      Delete
  10. Sounds intriguing! I'll have to check it out! Just out of curiosity, why not five out of five worms?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD Because I reserve five for my all time favorite books which would be my favorite books page. Also, I'm a stingy worm giver. :P

      Delete
  11. Jonathan, this is totally unrelative (is that a word???) to this post, but I was just wondering, for a blog, do you like The (Book)Worm's Apple with or without the 'Book'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *shrugs* Meh, it's probably a word.

      OOH OOH OOH for a blog title, I assume. Definitely leave the book part in. :D

      Delete
    2. Yes, for a blog title.
      I... Uh, haven't asked my mom yet, but I'm planning to today. I just figured I'd put some thought into it before I ask :D
      And thank you, I like the book part, too :)

      Delete
    3. OH OH, and I'd call my followers my 'wormies'. Isn't that cute?

      Delete
    4. Yeah that's always a good idea.
      XD XD it is kinda. :D

      Delete
  12. Nice review, Jonathan. This book actually sounds super interesting...I really want to find it now.
    Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it interesting. :) Thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete