Is Adventure a Biblical Pursuit?

The world we live in is an exciting and busy place.

Every teen wants excitement. Fun.

Adventure.

And while these things may seem harmless, are they really a biblical pursuit?
 

Now don't get me wrong here. There's nothing wrong with fun and adventure in and of themselves.

But is your incessant desire for excitement and adventure distracting you from God's call for your life? Because while some of us may be called to adventures and excitement, I think it's safe to say the majority of us will lead normal, everyday lives.

Getting a job. Marrying another godly individual. Having kids.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

But when you spend your teenage years in a mindless pursuit of fun and adventure, it's not helping you to become an adult. It's trapping you in a cycle of immaturity and irresponsibility that will effect you for the rest of your life.

Does this mean we can never do fun and exciting things? Of course not. If I was saying that, then I would be a complete hypocrite.

My point is that when we start too become to focused on adventure and excitement, it's easy to become distracted. It's easy to lose sight of what God has planned for us.

Sometimes staying faithful in the ordinary, everyday things is the 'adventure' that God has in store for us.

When I get caught up in fun and adventure, I tend to grow more and more discontent. Because when I'm focused on adventure and excitement, it's much harder to focus on the day-to-day. I'm less productive. I'm unfulfilled.

Because the pursuit of adventure will never satisfy.

But the pursuit of God?

I think it's safe to say that He'll always satisfy. So pursue Him. Only then will you find true and lasting fulfillment. 

(And I don't have questions to go with the shorter post today so if you wish to leave a comment you're on your own. Don't worry, I have full confidence in your ability to come up with something. XD)


~ Jonathan


Share this:

CONVERSATION

20 comments:

  1. This was an awesome post, I've actually been pondering this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. So true. Sometimes it is difficult to be okay with normal life. I feel like I want some of that excitement—especially being a protected PK. :)

    Thanks for the great reminder, Jonathan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I feel the same way. (which is mostly why I wrote the post XD) Glad you enjoyed! :)

      Delete
  3. For many years I labored under the delusion that extraverts were incapable of profound thought. This post is another undoing of that opinion. Thanks for sharing your perspective on this topic, it's refreshing! ---Libby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha well to be honest, when I was younger I was introvert, and I thought the same thing! XD Glad you liked the post, Libby! :D

      Delete
  4. This is fabulous, Jonathan!
    It's so funny to me when people are like, "WHY CAN'T YOU JUST BE A TEENAGER AND HAVE FUN. DON'T YOU LOVE HAVING FUN? ISN'T THAT BASICALLY THE WHOLE POINT OF BEING YOUR AGE?!" And I'm that person who's like, "I enjoy traveling and having an exciting life...but it's not everything to me..." XD

    But seriously, thanks for this. It's so amazing to know that we have access to something that DOES satisfy, that won't leave us empty, or unfulfilled. Something that's always there for us to hold onto. Knowing God is -- amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda! :)
      Haha well that's a good mindset to be in. Realizing that excitement isn't everything. :D

      Haha thanks for reading! Amen! :D

      Delete
  5. Great post, short, sweet, simple, to the point. Well done! This was actually a question similar to one posed on Facebook several weeks ago by an older friend of mine. My response was rather lengthy, but the essence of it was that God's purpose for us is to bring glory to Him in all that we do. He is not against us having fun and adventure unless in doing so we are not honoring Him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is actually something that I have always struggled with. I have this fanciful idea that God's purpose for my life is like no other, and I know that it is, just probably not in the way I'm thinking. "There is nothing more common that the human need to be extraordinary." #sorelatable XD I guess Einstein knows what he's talking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So have I. But as I get older I'm learning. ;) Thanks for commenting! :D

      Delete
  7. This was perfect timing for me! Great thoughts and post :D I'm a huge dreamer of adventure, so it hit home with me! Lol. ~Grace

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so true, AGHSKDJF. Being a fantasy writer, I sometimes get jealous of my books. Why do my characters get to go on all these fun adventures? Sure, there's loads of danger and death and sorrow and stuff, but ADVENTURE. EXCITEMENT. THRILL. But God satisfies, and I know His plan for me is better than anything I could ever write for myself.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I can totally relate! But yes God does satisfy. :D Thanks for commenting, Hannah!

      Delete
  9. Jonathan, I came across your blog after you commented on mine. I have to say, whoop whoop for awesome blogs! I'm talking about yours :P
    This was a fantastic post. I'm looking forward to reading more. Blessings, your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw well thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

      Delete