10 Practical Tips/Resources on How to Write Faster

WELL GUYS. IT'S OFFICIAL. I'M ATTEMPTING NANO THIS TIME AROUND. Yes, I'm beginning to question my sanity, yes I don't know what I'm doing, no I am not prepared in the least bit. But then again, is anyone really? (Don't answer that.)

So confession time: I'm semi-cheating. I'm actually... not writing a whole new novel. #sorrynotsorry Remember that Prince and the Pauper retelling I told you about? Welp it's going to have to wait for another day because there's no way I'm finishing Library of Lies before November.

So instead, I'm planning on trying to add 50k to Library of Lies which should definitely finish it up. I don't know I'll probably finish before then in which case I shall crank out short stories or drabbles or something like that. The point is, I SHALL SOLVE IT.

Anyways. I'm doing another NaNo post since I'm actually for sure doing NaNo now. (You can find me here, even though I never created an account. Evidently creating a Camp NaNo account automatically creates a normal NaNo account, a fact which would have been helpful to know before Hannah Rodriguez and I started theorizing about government conspiracies involving a fake stalkerly NaNo account under my name. But yeah that's neither here nor there so let's move on to the actual post before this introduction becomes it's own post entirely.)




1. Word Wars

Obviously. I'm still including it though because WORDS WARS ARE MY LIIIIFE ALRIGHT. 

2. DO. NOT. EDIT. 

Don't even correct typos. I DON'T CARE IF YOU MISSPELL YOUR MAIN CHARACTER'S NAME. DO. NOT. EDIT. Focus on getting the words down, editing comes later. 

3. Plan it out. 

If you know where you're going it will be that much easier to write. Even for me, as a pantser, I'm still making a semblance of an outline (or at least trying to XD) to help guide me through the month. 

4. Stay on track. 

Try not to get behind, that will just stress you out. Schedule specific times to write so you can get in the habit of writing daily through the month. But don't freak out if even if you do get a little behind! You can always catch up. You've got until midnight on November 30th, after all. 

5. Don't be afraid of poor prose. 

Newsflash: IF YOU'RE WRITING 50K IN A MONTH, IT'S NOT GONNA BE FABULOUS. Alright? Alright. Now that we've got that settled, it's important that you're willing to put the backspace button into a one month retirement. XD

6. Don't sleep. 

Alright... fine. You can sleep a little. ONLY A LITTLE BIT THOUGH. 

7. My Write Club 

Basically this is a place where you set goals and your friends cheer you on by screaming things like "YEAH-YUHHHHH DUDE YOU GOT THIS *fist bump*" (yes that was an actual comment from Hannah.) Plus you can participate in word sprints which are super duper fun, they host one every thirty minutes I think? Or you can create a private one. It's extremely motivating because you can see the word counts of the other people going up.

8. The Most Dangerous Writing App

Read my entire post about this delightfully frightening app here. Only the strong will survive.

9. NaNoWriMo Website

Honestly I'm not entirely sure what you do on this yet but it seems super helpful so I'm including it anyways. XP

10. Join Abi's 5k1Day challenge

I think it's both a facebook event and a google hangouts... at least that's my understanding. Basically we're attempting to write 5k on November 1st. That's 1/10 of what you have to write, and all of it can be knocked out on the first day!


SO WHO'S DOING NANO???? Anyone else have some tips on writing fast? :D

~ Jonathan

Share this:

,

CONVERSATION

26 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I do most of those, and word wars and writing groups are my favorite. (Though I'm kinda bummed you can't have cabins in NaNo like the camp.) Looking forward to it, as well as the 5kin1day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeesss wws are the best! Yeah same it's kinda sad you can't have cabins but at least we have the 5k1Day hangout which is just as good. :P

      Delete
  2. I'm gonna do it! Well, try at least. It looks like it's gonna be fun. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post and tips! I need to work on the not editing part. I always stop and fix the smallest mistakes and spend most my time stopping every minute rather than writing. Lol. Love reading your posts, they always make me laugh XD ~Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAAAME I do that also. XD It's haaarddd not to. Well thanks so much! :D

      Delete
  4. Brilliant post!! :) Numbers 1 and 4 are especially true, I think. I'm looking forward to NaNoWriMo more than ever this year! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha saame except this is my first year so xD

      Delete
  5. Great tips and post! :)
    I'm not doing NaNo this year- I kinda wanted to, it'd be super fun, but I'm going to finish editing my novel Seek. :) Don't know how long that'll take but I'm excited and happy about it. =D
    So yeah, this November I'll be editing- aka, being amazed as the papers stack up, rather enjoying myself, except when my characters kill me. xD
    Good luck with NaNo man! You can do it- your book sounds awesome.
    YHVH bless!
    -Angela | thepeculiarmessenger.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Ah well editing's good also, definitely great to crack down and get it done. (*cough*ishoulddothat*cough* XD)
      Hehe sounds fun!
      Thanks so much! :)

      Delete
  6. *fist bumps and cheers* YEAH-YUH DUUUUDE. I'm so happy you're doing nano! AHHH. Are you on Facebook? WE MUST WAR SOMETIME. *nods* Also, you're doing essentially what I did for nano last year and it worked marvelously for me, so I wish you the best of luck!

    I had started my first draft on October 2nd (I'd only sort-of very vaguely heard of Nano and didn't know enough to be interested) but a friend convinced me to write the last 50k during nano and I FINISHED THE BOOK WITH LIKE, 10K TO GO. I wrote two short story-type things and a character interview, so it all worked out XP I'm a little nervous to see how this nano goes because I'm not starting till the day of and AJSDFLHKAJSDF I'M SO EXCITED OKAY I'M DONE. #hannahout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *fist bumps you back* I'M SO EXCITED ASDFLKJKL (also going slightly crazy but psshtt no worries there XD) Ah no I'm not on Facebook but I think I friended you on MyWriteClub? Maybe? One time we totally need to get on there and duke it out. xD Ooh really well that's good to hear. >.>

      OKAY WOW THAT'S ACTUALLY LIKE REALLY IMPRESSIVE? *is super motivated now* If I do finish then I know what to write now to make up for words lol. ASDFHSLKDFJ WELL THANKS SO MUCH HANNAH YOUR COMMENTS ALWAYS INSPIRE ME. XP

      Delete
  7. I AM SO EXCITED FOR NANO. My usual plan (I've been done it two years in row, so clearly I am a professional...) is to write 8k on day 1, 5k on day 2, and then as close to 5k as I can get on day 3. After that, I just sit back and write at my leisure. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAME. Ok wait waht are you even like human?? O.o Wow that's super great. XP I don't think I could do an 8k... YOU MUST TEACH ME YOUR WAYS. XD

      Delete
  8. Hahaha, this is great! I'm not doing NaNo, but I'm still hoping to get oodles of writing done between now and Christmas. :D
    Word wars are awesome!! XD Planning is good too, but...so it sleep. The most dangerous writing app, EEEPPPS. That thing freaked me out. I have been traumatized by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe thanks! Haha well that's good, you've got this. :D
      IKR THEY'RE MY LIFE BASICALLY. Yeah I'm trying to plan more and it's actually going fairly well? XD WELL NO YOU JUST HAVE TO KEEP USING IT. EVENTUALLY THE TRAUMA WEARS OFF I PROMISE.

      Delete
  9. Yeah. No sleep is the way to go. Also unicorn blood. And Word Wars. And have you heard of WriteDeck? That site is GOLDEN.

    // katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay but yes how could I forget about unicorn blood darn. Ooh okay is it I must go look it up now. :D

      Delete
  10. IM DOING 100K FOR NANO AND I FREAKED A BIT TODAY BC I THOUGHT THAT NANO STARTED TUESDAY BUT HAHA NO NOW I HAVE AN EXTRA WEEK TO RUN AROUND SCREAMING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OKAY WHAT WOW THAT'S LIKE SUPER CRAZY BUT I APPLAUD YOU. XD

      Delete
  11. THANK YOU! These are such great tips and now I'm questioning my choice to not join in on NANOWRIMO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha well thanks! You totally should give it a shot. :D

      Delete
  12. Wow, this stuff will seriously stress me out if I ever start. I'm so scared.... *whimpers*

    ReplyDelete
  13. fishing in stop waters is allowed on an occasional premise. This incorporates Lake Wintergreen, Farm Brook Reservoir off Hill Street (as saw from the Red Trail), and an anonymous lake nearby the Red Trail close Mountain Road.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a nice post you sharing. Thank you for your good experience shared with us.
    Most important one is your story was dramatic.

    ReplyDelete