The Secret Keepers: Smoke, Watches- and Secrets. (+ an Intriguing Mystery)

So I sort of haven't posted a review in... a long time. I think at one point I was trying to do one review a month, but OBVIOUSLY I HAVE MORE OR LESS #FAILED. Oh well either way I'm here with a book review today and maybe I won't miss next month's??? Who can tell.

about the book 

Eleven-year-old Reuben spends his days exploring, hiding, and practicing parkour among the abandoned buildings of the Lower Downs as a way to escape the rough times that have befallen him and his mom--but his discovery of an extraordinary antique pocket watch changes everything. When Reuben finds that the watch has the power to turn him invisible, he's propelled on the adventure of a lifetime.


Now Reuben is being pursued by a group of dangerous men called the Directions, and someone--or something--ominously called The Smoke. They all want the watch, and with the help of new friends, it's up to Reuben to unravel the mysteries surrounding it and protect the city from evil.


New York Times bestselling author Trenton Lee Stewart's latest novel will enthrall old and new fans alike with the twists and turns of an inventive and compelling adventure reminiscent of The Mysterious Benedict Society series.
 


my review

Well this book was more or less BRILLIANT so I'm just going to write this review in list form. Since I practically live off lists anyways. 


L I K E D 

- Reuben is basically a ninja. Even before he finds the watch, HE'S 100% NINJA OKAY. Trust me I know these things. And of course, after he finds the watch, it sort of can make him invisible. People who can go invisible = ninjas. THE LOGIC HERE IS FLAWLESS. (But: note to readers of this review- invisibility isn't actually all it's cracked up to be, just so you know.)

- Reuben and his Mom have a really great relationship. They basically 1) make jokes about everything and 2) design their dream houses. THESE ARE GOOD PRIORITIES. Plus they both have great senses of humor, so it's a win-win. 

- The Directions. BECAUSE HELLO YES I'm completely in love with this idea because it's so original and creative. Although, what else did we expect from Trenton Lee Stuart?

- Did I mention that Reuben is an unofficial ninja?? BECAUSE I APPROVE OF THIS.

- The Meyer family was pretty fun also, especially Penny.

- Jack was sarcasm goals when he went to visit the Counselor. That is all. 

- The Smoke. Because he was basically the perfect villain for a mystery, and there were so many twists and surprises that I did not see coming. Not from miles away. 

- The climax is sort of set in an old mansion filled to the brim with traps. Obviously this is fantastic and I approve 100%. 

- The plot was nothing short of brilliant, pitting Reuben, Penny, Jack, and Mrs. Genevieve against The Smoke in an engaging mystery. Featuring 1) a lighthouse (no you did not see the cover shush), 2) a watch, and 3) a decades-old family secret. I have so much love for this plot, which is sort of unusual for me. 


D I S L I K E D 

- The word 'parkour' was in the synopsis but I don't remember reading it in the book? #disappointing 

- It was decidedly less clever/witty then The Mysterious Benedict Society. Mostly because there's 1) no Kate 2) no Constance 3) no Sticky and 4) no Reynie. The characters in this book are still great, but not nearly as funny as the cast of The Mysterious Benedict Society. Which I'm okay with- since the plot was so darned brilliant and the characters were still likable. 

- There's definitely some deception and such in here, both from the good and the bad side. Reuben lies to his Mom a few times. But while I'm not excusing it, every time it's because he wants to protect his Mom. And there's a lot of discussion about whether or not Jack's 'borrowing' of a car is actually stealing. (it's more humorous than anything else) Just something to keep in mind. :D


So I'd probably recommend this for 13+. (loosely) ALL IN ALL I LOVED THIS THOUGH. I can't wait for Trenton Lee Stuart to release another book!!

~ Jonathan 

Share this:

,

CONVERSATION

27 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book! *goes to add it to goodreads.* aaaannndd my list just got longer. XP
    I haven't read The Mysterious Benedict Society either, is that good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes that's because it is. XD
      YES THE MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY IS FABULOUS. *casually sets a few more book on your tbr*

      Delete
  2. Yay, lists! I love lists. :) I really like making lists, because they just make me feel so much more organized, you know? :P

    OMW, thank you so much for doing this review! I have been contemplating whether to read this book or not for a while. And now, I've decided that I'm going to. :D I got The Mysterious Benedict Society but I haven't read it yet. (Probably because I already have four books started and I should finish some of them before starting another book. :P SHH! Don't tell anybody)

    gottahavecoffee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO DO I. Although I'm not super good at making them irl?? But when it comes to blogging lists are basically my best friend haha.

      No problem! Haha well niiice it's definitely worth the read! :D Ooh okay but you definitely need to read that one also. *nods* XD (Hahahah yes the struggle is real- your secret is safe with me hehe.)

      WHOA YOU HAVE A BLOG NOW COOL

      Delete
  3. *wonders how a kid could "borrow" a car*

    sounds interesting tho lol!!

    also keep blogging k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha no Rebuen is 11 and he's a kid but Jack is like at least 18 so it works. :P

      yes because it is!! XD

      okay yes I will lol

      Delete
  4. Awesome review! And yes, parkour is such a cool word! *Totally didn't have to go look the definition up just now.*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks! Ikr I actually just learned it recentlyish. (okay- as in maybe a few months ago, but that's totally recently haha. :P) And then the other day there's this like 7 year old kid I know who informs me that he wants to 'play parkour' and I'm just super impressed by his vocab, hehe.

      Delete
  5. Wow. Now THIS sounds like a great read. An unofficial ninja? How much better can you get? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. *quickly adds to be TBR* HOW DID I NOT KNOW TRENTON LEE STEWART WROTE OTHER BOOKS?! (other than TMBS, that is xD)
    I LOVED The Mysterious Benedict Society so THIS ONE BETTER BE BRILLIANT xD. Thanks for the review!

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WELL I THINK HE JUST RELEASED IT IN LIKE SEPTEMBER MAYBE? So it hasn't been around for all that long haha. :P
      YES SO DID I. And it is brilliant, you will loooove it. :D

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh Trenton Lee Stewart needs wayyy more fans. I've read The Mysterious Benedict Society about 5 times. I need to get my hands on this book. (Especially since I almost shrieked when I saw this book in Barnes and Noble.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. I second this motion. XD If you liked The Mysterious Benedict Society then you'll probably like this one also, you neeeed to read it! XP (haha bonus points for almost screaming in public lol)

      Delete
  8. Another book by Trenton Lee Stewart? Oh, yesss! I must check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes ikr my thoughts exactly before I started this :D

      Delete
  9. Ooh, that sounds really interesting. Invisibility. And watches. And Ninjas. Yes. :D

    Would you recommend reading this or the Mysterious Benedict Society first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ikr IT'S BRILLIANT REALLY. :D

      Not necessarily. I definitely recommend it but they're not related in any way to this book, so it doesn't really matter if you don't read them first haha. :D

      Delete
  10. Ahhhh I've been DYING to read this!! It sounds and looks so gooood. But ... no parkour?? Man. I got so excited when I read that. *sniffles* My brother does parkour so I was ready to see it and read it and KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON. *sigh* But I'm glad it was still good and can't wait to get my hands on it!!! :D Thanks for reviewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. Because it is super good. Haha ikr I felt cheated. :P It's still definitely worth the read though. :D Can't wait for you to give it a shot!

      Delete
  11. Eeeep this cover is so gorgeous, I must get my hands on it!
    Great review :) Somehow you made me add yet another book to my TBR, STOP DOING THAT!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ikr I love it! :D
      Thanks! Mwahaha but that's what I'm here for *evil laugh* :P

      Delete
  12. #You Always Reply to Comments Parallel to the Way They Were Written.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Trenton Lee Stewart is my favorite author by FAR. I love witty and clever books and plot twists, so his books are perfect. And while I really loved The Secret Keepers, I agree. The Mysterious Benedict Society was better!
    ~Megan~
    abarefootgal.wordpress.com
    P.S. Sorry if this was my third comment, but the other two times it SAID it didn't work, so I'm gonna trust Blogger and comment again.

    ReplyDelete