Dear Writer, How's Your Heart?

It's so important as writers to make sure we're keeping the right attitude as we write. Sometimes it's easy to get so caught up in the elements of our story that we forget about something even more important than those, and even more important than how well we're writing: our hearts.

Today I'm here to give you a short post about that. In case you didn't notice. xD

As writers, the end goal for many (if not all) of us is to get published. We want to make money off of our books- and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that! (as long as it's not too important) 

But there's another thing we want: recognition. We want people to recognize us for what we did. Because here's the deal: writing a book is hard. I don't care if it's 40k or 150k- it's not an easy thing to do. 

So by the time we're done with our first drafts, we're often tired, worn out, and unmotivated. 

Then we have to edit. 

Then we have to edit again. 

And maybe edit a couple more times. 

Sometimes we might even have to write a whole new second draft. 

The point being: it takes time. It takes energy. It takes passion. And it takes some good, hard work. (If you're one of those people who thinks sitting in front of a computer never counts as 'actual work', then go write a book. :P) 

But in the end, our goal in writing shouldn't involve recognition of us. 

And I'm just gonna be honest with you guys. This is something I deal with. A lot. It's so easy for me to get caught up in how good I think I am instead of how good God is.

In the end, every writer is a mirror. And instead of reflecting ourselves, God calls us to something much greater. 

He calls us to reflect Him. 

Does this mean you can never be proud of your work? Of course not. Writing a book is something to be proud of. 

But there's a balance. A balance between being proud of your work, and still making your goal to glorify God. If you have trouble with the balance here, then I'd like to ask you something: 

How's your heart? 

Sure, we can be proud of our work. But when we realize that God is the only reason we have fingers to type with, the only reason we have a brain that allows us to spell words, the only reason we can write at all, we realize that only through Him can we accomplish anything. 

~ Jonathan 

Share this:

, , ,

CONVERSATION

45 comments:

  1. THANK YOU FOR THIS AH. This is so true.
    (also we need to plan that video call soon soon soon)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO PROBLEM. xD Thanks for agreeing haha.
      (yes truuue we do- Amanda and I were emailing about it but my email has gone mutant and it killed the emails and then I forgot. I'll email you both :D)

      Delete
  2. Fantastic! Very true...
    It's all because of Him, and we should always remember that. :)
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Convicting.
    I think I needed this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU SO MUCH. This is something that I always have to keep in mind, as God IS the reason that I sit down and write and just live. But sometimes we look too closely at our own work that we forget about His work--us, our lives, and how He lets us write.

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GLAD YOU LIKED IT. :D Yeeess that's all so true. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. Dude yes. Our job isn't to tell the story we want, how we want and when we want. Our job is to tell God's story, and reflect his awesomeness. So much yes. :D

    Thanks for sharing! I feel like I should finish this with my code catchphrase though...Nice nice. xP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow okay that's actually really profound though xD #quoteableJanemoment

      Haha you too! :D Ooh okay but see you're gonna blow your cover now if you use it /too/ much :P

      Delete
    2. I have my profound moments. xD

      *makes a mental note* xP

      Delete
  6. Wow this is a great post. <3 Your words are very powerful!

    Sophy
    lavender & blue

    ReplyDelete
  7. I struggle with this same thing! I really want to write for God's, but I also have the desire to be recognized. What a great post. :)

    -Alea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAME. I think it's really common for writers haha. :D

      Delete
  8. Amen to all of this! And OH GRACIOUS is it something I needed to hear right now - thank you for this post!

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super glad it helped you out, Savannah :)

      Delete
  9. This is so true, and it's something I've been thinking about recently. It's so easy to get in the grind and almost...forget about God in the middle of the chaos. But He's the reason we're even here soooo yeah.

    Great post!

    -autumn
    autumn's readings + writings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *nods* That's definitely an important thing to remember. :D Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  10. THIS IS SUCH A GOOD REMINDER!!! It's all for Him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome post, Jonathan! You're totally right, our writing should definitely be reflecting God. All of who we are comes from Him. Great reminder, thank you for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! :D Glad it was a good reminder for you- it was for me also.

      Delete
  12. TRUE. This is really important to all of us writers !! I mean, it's great that we are here typing away, some of us a few steps away from publishing, but when you think about it, who gave us this gift and who gave us the words?

    - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AGREED. It's so easy to get caught up in ourselves when we should instead be focused on God. :D

      Delete
  13. I love this so much. I want to print this out and put it over my desk to remind myself of my first and foremost goal whenever I'm writing or doing anything creative. I love the thought that all creative works on this Earth are just mirroring the ultimate Creator-- it's so special that God gave us the opportunity to participate in something as insanely powerful and amazing as creativity! Awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw well thanks! So glad you could relate! :D

      Delete
  14. Oh my word, this is SO true. It is very easy to get caught up in that. At first, when I started writing, I was like, "Ahh, I could be famous!" But it was actually only a few months ago that I realized that I'm not doing this for me, shouldn't be doing this for me. I'm doing it for God. And I've come to a point where I'm not overly concerned about being well-known. As long as I'm doing what God wants me to do, I'll be happy.

    Thank you so much for this post, Jonathan! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WAS THE SAME WAY. XD But I went through a pretty similar thing haha- like before I used to be super opposed to the idea of self-publishing because I didn't think I would be well-known enough, but now I know if that's God's plan then I'm 100% game for it. :D

      Delete
  15. THIS IS SO IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER. I've recently been kind of worrying about how I'm going to make any money as a writer, but I just need to be remembering that God gave me these skills and passions for HIS GLORY. He is the reason I am doing this, not money or fame, but for Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES TOTALLY IT IS. I can definitely relate to all of that haha :D

      Delete
  16. Thank you so much for being willing to tackle hard subjects. I'm just starting writing, and this shifted my focus to what's really important. 6/5 stars!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this sent you in the right direction! :D

      Delete
    2. Thanks for inspiring aspiring young inspirers. :)

      Delete
  17. Oh my goodness, YES. This was amazing. Everything we do, everything we spend time and energy on, should reflect and glorified Him. <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow this was really good and super important! In everything, not just writing, it's super important to evaluate ourselves and determine if we're living to give glory to ourselves or to God.

    This really made me think and reflect, great post!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete