Dear Writer, Find Joy in the Journey

Hey guys. Today, we're finishing up this (unofficial) series. And I've gotta be honest: some of this hasn't been easy and fluffy and fun.

We've dealt with some tough issues like our attitudes and our messages. Maybe you've decided you need to change some things about your own writing.

But even if you didn't, it's easy to get overwhelmed by everything you might be doing wrong. It's easy to feel all this pressure, because somehow, you have to keep pushing and working and striving before you're the writer God wants you to be.

Somehow, if you just work hard enough, and if you just spend enough time on it, and if you just keep working and pushing and sweating, then you'll get there. You'll get to where you need to be.

Sound exhausting? I agree.

Let's just pause for a second and take a deep, refreshing breath, and then let's put this into some perspective.






The fact that I'm the one who wrote the posts doesn't mean I've got all of this stuff down. (in fact, it normally means the opposite) I know most of you know that the things I post about are normally the things I'm learning about myself. 

But like I said in the intro- it's easy to beat ourselves up. It's easy to feel like we're doing EVERYTHING WRONG and we need to fix ALL OF IT. RIGHT NOW. 

We pressure ourselves into trying to get better, and never do we think of where we are. 

Just pause for a moment and think about how far you've come as a writer. (or, instead of thinking about it, look through your blog archive... *cough*) Whether you've been writing for 14 years or 3 months, you've improved along the way. You've gotten better. You've grown. 

And the only thing you did to achieve this growth is that you wrote. 

It's natural for all of us to analyze our novels. We're always trying to figure out how we can improve or how we can fix something.

The thing is- that's good. 

But not if you let it steal your joy from you. 

There's nothing wrong with trying to get better. In fact, you should be trying to get better. I know I am.  

But when we get too caught up in trying to get better, we lose the perspective we need, and we fail to realize this: 

We're all on a journey. We're all working at it. We're all falling down and climbing back up again. 


And NONE of us started out where we are now. 

There's always room to improve. Even if you're a bestselling author, there's still something you could be doing better. 

What's important isn't drinking up caffeine and writing till your eyes hurt and becoming the writer you want to be overnight. (spoiler alert: SORRY NOT HAPPENING XD) Instead, what's important is understanding that you're on a journey, just like everyone else. 

When we realize we're still a work in progress, just like our stories, we can find joy in the messiness and the imperfections within our own stories. We can approach them with determination instead of discouragement. 

Because we're ready to fix them. We know they're not perfect, but we also know that's okay. 

We know we'll get there. Right now, we're just doing the best we can: and we're loving it. 

~ Jonathan 


Share this:

,

CONVERSATION

32 comments:

  1. Amen, Jonathan. :) There is a season for every thing, as God says, and He tells us to always have joy! We cannot learn in the present, if we are trying to look ahead of the journey... God has a path for reach of us. Every moment counts. Everything we do, we have to do it for God's glory- writing included! :)
    God bless,
    -Ang | thepeculiarmessenger.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! You always have such great thoughts to add to posts, haha. :D

      Delete
    2. Thank you! You always have great posts that strike my thoughts. :)

      Delete
  2. THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!! (I need to rewrite-- yes rewrite ugh-- The Sand Song and man I'm not feeling very joyful about it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GLAD YOU LIKED IT. XD (saaaaame. I'm rewriting Raven right now and wow, send help fast. preferably in the form of a jumbo sized bag of sour patch kids)

      Delete
  3. Ummm, did you just steal my post idea?!? xD Because I literally have a post just like this planned for the end of next month. Well, actually, it's a little different, but yeah. xD

    THIS POST WAS SO AMAZING. Literally, this is like the story of my life. Sometimes we just need to stop and look back and see how far we've come and then look where we're going and realize that there is no destination. Writing is a journey. Life is a journey. It only ends when we get to Heaven, and there's no way to "get to the end" and have nothing more to work on, even if you're a bestselling author.

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well idk did I??? xD I DIDN'T MEAN TO THOUGH LOL. Great minds think alike, that must be it.

      THANK YOU. Super glad to hear your thoughts on this! :D

      Delete
  4. Love this! Thanks so much for the encouragement! I needed this today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so glad it could encourage you :D

      Delete
  5. "We're all on a journey. We're all working at it. We're all falling down and climbing back up again."
    Wow. Just Wow. This was so encouraging to me. I feel discouraged a lot of the time when I'm writing. I feel so amature, and inexperienced, but like you said, its a learning experience, and a time for us to grow. Thanks so much for this!
    -Clara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAME HONESTLY. Especially now that I'm doing a second draft and editing haha. :D Glad you found this helpful!

      Delete
  6. "This has been motivational, encouraging and very inspiring talks with Jonathan."
    Thank you for doing this (unofficial) series though. It's honestly been amazing. It's been a huge encouragement to me - and also to several friends that I've actually been sending it to. So good job.
    *tucks these posts in my pocket and keeps them forever*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word. xD I'm glad they were motivational and inspiring to other people and not just to me haha.
      No problem! I needed the posts just as much as anyone else. :P AW THANKS FOR SHARING THEM THOUGH. :D

      Delete
  7. This is great, and it applies to so much more than just writing. There is so much out there that will rob our joy from us if we let it. If we love doing something we have to remember to simply just love it too.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AGREED. I definitely think we can also apply it to our lives as Christians. *nods* :D Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Jonathan, your posts are always so perfect. Thank you for being such an encouragement and writing for God. I want to do that- use all my writing for God's glory and to help people know him more- but I'm not usually sure how to do it in fiction. Thank you for showing us that there's a way to do it :)
    ~Faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw well thanks so much, Faith! I'm super glad that you've been able to learn some things from these posts :D

      Delete
  9. "NONE of us started where we are now." THAT LINE. Just ... SO MUCH YES. Yes to the line, to this post. You speak words of wisdom, friend. *fist bumps* Another thing, as Christians we can trust in God's perfect plan for us. We are right where we need to be in this moment. The key is gaining from where we are instead of lookin ahead and missing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU'RE TOO NICE. *fist bumps* XD Ooh yes that's a super good point :D

      Delete
  10. LOVED THIS <3 Thank you for the encouragement!!

    Sophy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! SO ENCOURAGING. XD (And your blog is so inspirational; it's fabulous.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you!! :D (so glad you like it!)

      Delete
  12. Please don't let this be the end of the series. Write MORE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BUT IT HAS TO END SOMETIME. D: Who knows though? Maybe every once in a while another dear writer post will show up in your feed. xD

      Delete
    2. But you don't have to SAY it's the end. Just go back to other posts and as soon as you have another dear writer post, post it knowing that we're all anxiously waiting for it :D

      Delete
  13. I've so enjoyed this series! And this post was actually very timely for me... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Haha yes I know how that is... the same has happened to me with many posts and sermons. ;)

      Delete
  14. Well, Jonathon, I am sad to see this series go! I have really enjoyed it! At the same time, if you don't have drive for any more posts then most likely you aren't supposed to write any post. Anyway, well done! I think God has used you in this series. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well so am I- but I'm super glad you really enjoyed it. :D Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  15. what Eliza said... totally totally agree with her

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhh! I looved your "unofficial" series! You really raised some good points that, whether we want to admit it or not, we don't really want to acknowledge. Thank you so much for these posts! I needed them. :)

    ReplyDelete