Dear Writer, How's Your Time?

Let's be honest: WRITING IN GENERAL IS SO TIME-CONSUMING. And writing something that's more than 50k words (read: probably a novel) is even more time-consuming.

As an example, The Raven Project took me about 9 months to write JUST the first draft (oh, and did I mention I have an entire second draft to do? which will probably take me another 9 months. then there's editing...) and Library of Lies took me about 7 months to write. (and on this one I actually knew what I was doing. so. no second draft, thankfully. just edits.)

It's a loooong process. It takes time and patience and probably caffeine. (in any form EXCEPT for coffee xD)

Guess what we're talking about today?

Time, writing, and our lives.



Time is something writers think about a lot, even if we don't realize it. We have deadlines. We do word wars. We try and write 50k during a month.

And lately, for me, my time has been even more in the forefront of my mind then it normally is. Because I'm working on two projects at the same time, and it's a lot harder to stay balanced. 

Between blogging, and editing, and writing a second draft, it's easy for me to get caught up in just writing. It's easy for me to tune out the world around me and glue myself to my computer screen. 

But I know that's not healthy for me.

God's given me an awesome life, and He wants me to USE IT. And writing is only part of that. He didn't give me seven amazing siblings just so I could spend all of my time ignoring them. 

He didn't give me a church just so I could show up on Sundays and pretend to listen to the sermon. 

He didn't give me responsibilities so I could throw them out the window for the sake of getting in a few hundred more words. 

He gave me all of these things so I can bring Him glory, and so I can learn from them. 

Look around you. What has God put into your life? Family members? Friends? 

Invest in what God's given you. Don't glue yourself to your laptop. God might have a plan for you as a writer, but His plan for your life isn't just writing. Writing is important, but staying in a relationship with Him and others in your life is more important. 

How are you using your time? 

~ Jonathan 

Share this:

, ,

CONVERSATION

31 comments:

  1. You have done it again. There has GOT to be a fly on my wall or something...how else do you always seem to know what to post about? ;) Great reminder. Thanks Jonathan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IDK I JUST POST ABOUT STUFF I'M LEARNING? XD So evidently you and I are learning the same things haha. :D

      Delete
    2. We must be. But they're definitely good lessons to learn. :D

      Delete
  2. Wow, the timing (heh, pun not intended :P) of this amazes me. I've been under conviction about the timing and prioritizing thing for a while now, but yesterday, I did some serious reevaluating and rededicating to God. I realized I'd sort of taken things into my own hands, and several places in my life were suffering for it. But I'm praying that this new direction will be better, and that I'll be more available for Him, for my family, for responsibilities I already have (other than writing or other things that keep me glued to my laptop nearly /all day/). So long story short, thank you so much for a reinforcement of all the things that have already been going on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so cool how God works sometimes- whenever I post about things I'm going through a bunch of other people are always like 'OHEY SAME HERE.' XD Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. "He didn't give me seven amazing siblings just so I could spend all of my time ignoring them."
    Hehe..same. I've been trying to say yes to my siblings more often when they ask me to play games instead of giving them an excuse about me having to write or blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yup same for me- which means I'm getting reaallyyy good at memory and checkers. xP

      Delete
  4. I love this!! Until about a year ago, I'd started countless novels never to finish them. I thin my biggest problem was impatience. I expected to write by the seat of my pants and have a full-length book written by Friday. ;) Last fall, I realized that I really had to commit myself if I ever wanted to complete a book as a teenager, and I've been working on the same story since September/October. (The longest time I've ever spent on one story, so I'm pretty proud!) I've got about 30,000 words and counting, and while I'd like to have more than that, I'm really happy with the progress. I have so many other things on my plate that I've had to remind myself that it's okay to take it slow. Like you said, God and family and school a bajillion other things need my attention too. And eventually writing will fall into place. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's super awesome that you've found a way to commit yourself to one big project and stick with it. :D

      Delete
  5. Wow great post. <3 This is a really important topic. This definitely needs to more proclaimed in the writing community.

    Sophy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha yes I think so also :D

      Delete
  6. *nods throughout post* Excellent point. And, might I add to everyone else's comments another "thanks for the great reminder!" :) This is something I need to work on myself...it's nice to know I'm not the only one who struggles with getting my priorities straight. What a relief. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAME. I'm typically noooooot good at time management at all. xD I'm definitely improving though!

      Delete
  7. Ahh, I love this! :) I have such a hard time with this. It's easy for me to get caught up with writing, that sometimes I forget my other responsibilities. But I've been trying to change that.

    Thank you, Jonathan! I needed this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank yoooou. :D So do I! I've definitely been working on scheduling stuff better also. *nods*

      Delete
  8. *applauds you* That is EXACTLY what's been on my mind lately (people keep taking my post ideas, ugh)! Thank you for some excellent words. I often feel kind of opposite, like I'm spending too much time out and about in life and not enough in my writing, though I used to be the other way round. Honestly, balancing is like, really hard. I don't even know if having everything perfectly balanced is possible? If someone else has a secret to it though, please share!? I'm desperate.
    But I agree, writing is an amazing calling, but life isn't strictly about our callings, otherwise it wouldn't be so full of other things. We closeted writers gotta get out and DO stuff, have the adventures we fawn over in our stories. Thanks for another great and timely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (#SORRY xD You can still write about it though haha) IT WORKS BOTH WAYS. Sometimes it's hard to get yourself writing and other times it's hard to get yourself into the real world.
      AGREED. Adventure is out there!!! XP

      Delete
  9. Wow, I'm impressed! I've never really thought how I use my time as a writer. I get distracted quite easily. This is a really good reminder, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! SAAAAME I get distracted super easily also. :D

      Delete
  10. Spending time writing can almost be as dangerous as binge watching shows on netflix. Super time consuming but very rewarding. Thanks for the reminder, i do need to reflect on where my time is going. I am glad someone has thought about this and decided to share their thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have Netflix but I can definitely see how that would be the case :D So glad you found this thought-provoking!

      Delete
  11. Great post! I often have to drag myself away from my laptop because I just get so caught up in writing and I forget to live. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one!
    -Gray Marie
    graymariewrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay...I needed this. Thanks for sharing! XD

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post is brilliant and concise and I can SO relate. It's so easy to fill all my time with writing and computer things. But God has so much more in store for us than that!! Not letting writing become my idol and really including God in the process can be a struggle for me :) Thanks for this reminder!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. THIS IS SO IMPORTANT

    thank you for this reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I THINK SO ALSO HAHA XD

      no problem, thanks for commenting! :D

      Delete