March Is Over

So yeah. Obviously March is over. AND WE ALL KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS. It means Camp NaNo (+insanity) has arrived.  More stuff about Camp below. :D 

Also apparently spring is supposed to be here? But my weather is rebellious so there's no spring for us. Yet. Despite the very spring-looking picture below. 





I actually didn't read that much this month? But I still got in seven books:


Favorite Fiction: 

MY REREAD OF THE HOMELANDERS, OBVIOUSLY. This was my second time reading through the whole series AND I LOVE IT. I LOVE IT TO DEATH. Even though book four, The Final Hour, does sag. A lot. D: 

Basically it's about this teenage guy who has both the police and terrorists after him- except he doesn't know why. He's lost his memory of the last year of his life. So he has to figure out 1) why terrorists are trying to kill him, 2) why the police are trying to arrest him, 3) how he lost his memory, and 4) what happened in the year he can't remember. 

However: the one disclaimer I have to go with this series is that the writing quality/prose isn't all that great. It's the incredibly creative and intense plot that carries the storyline. So if you can't stand books with mediocre quality writing, then this probably isn't for you. :D 

(also it's definitely got some violence in it so probably 13+) 


Favorite Nonfiction:  

Well I only read one nonfiction book this month? #OOPS. But Go Teen Writers was a FANTASTIC resource that covers just about everything writing-related. It's easy to read and understand, very informative, and it tells you the truth without being discouraging. Definitely a great read! 



I've been working on both the second draft of The Raven Project and going through alpha comments for Library of Lies. So yeah. Much editing stuff. 

The Raven Project 

I round the corner, keeping myself plastered to the wall. There’s a door at the end of this wall, and it’s open. Yellow light spills out into the field ahead of me, blending with the pale light of the stars to create a hybrid, golden light. 

The voices of the men pour out of the door along with the light, mixing with the rustling breeze to give their tones a ghost-like effect. My mind wakes up again, enumerating a list of worst case scenarios, telling me I have to turn back. 

But I can’t go back now. I’m so, so close. 

Another step. I hear a sound behind me. It’s loud enough that the other sounds don’t cover it, and I whirl around. 

Something slams into the back of my head. My neck jerks and I fall towards the ground. For a moment, I am so, so alive. I can hear the crickets around me. I can see the stars above me. I can feel the grass against me.

Then, I connect with the ground. A pinprick of black hovers in front of my eyes, growing larger and larger until it pushes everything else out. Now, there are no stars or chirping crickets. There is no field. There is no warehouse. 

Everything is black. 


Second drafting is a lot different than first drafting. (who knew, right? xD) It's a lot harder, haha. After a month of work I've added about 6k to the second draft. 

But my plot is much better this time around. I'm actually doing that weird thing called plotting and... it seems to work? (*gasps*) Plus I'm adding in some other fun/cool stuff. 

ALSO: Dry erase calendars are lifesavers for when you have more than one writing project. Just so you know. (spoiler alert: I might do a post about juggling multiple projects sometime soon.) 


Library of Lies 


Alpha reading!! So not much to be said here except I'm making great progress and many of the comments make me laugh way too hard. xD


On another writing-related note, I know you're all wondering: Am I doing Camp NaNo? (and if you weren't wondering then you are now) 

And sadly, the answer is no. I'm not. At least not officially. I have a loose word goal and I have a project on my profile but I'm not actually joining a cabin. Because I'm 1) technically still on internet break and also 2) I'm not first drafting anything. And do I have time to start a new first draft while editing two other novels? LOL NOPE. 

I know you can do NaNo with editing, but that really wouldn't work for me. At all. Just trust me on this one. xD

BUT. JULY NANO REALLY ISN'T ALL THAT FAR AWAY. So I'll hopefully be participating then. *halfhearted cheer*  



Not really anything exciting except for that I finally went into my html and put up my contact page. So if you need to contact me- YOU CAN DO THAT NOW. XD Or if anyone wants to send me a random email, I'm cool with that also. 






YOU GUYS KNOW THE DRILL. Now you get to tell me all about what you've been up to! :D Best book of March? How's writing? Are you doing Camp? What's your goal? TELL ME ALL THE THINGS. 

~ Jonathan 

Share this:

CONVERSATION

29 comments:

  1. I'm so tired honestly. Writing is touuugh but I have about 20k in draft 2 of Red King, so that's good. I'm doing the last 80k for camp. ALTHOUGH IM KINDA HYPED FOR OYAN SW!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack I feel you. xD whooAAA 80k, very nice! Good luck with that! *does not doubt your ability to pull it off lol* xP AH YEAH I HOPE YOU HAVE TONS OF FUN :D

      Delete
  2. HOMELANDERS IS AWESOME.
    ALSO LIBRARY OF LIES <3
    AND THAT RAVEN PROJECT SNIPPET...NEED MORE SOON :P
    ahem
    *turns off caps lock so as not to completely blow your hearing, hehe* xD
    glad our goofy comments can amuse you XD

    hmm, nothing much happened happened in March...pretty mellow month, for the most part. SAT happened, which was rather stressful, but it's over and done and gone and I don't have to worry about the thing anymore. XP I've been sort of at a block with my chapter, but I had an idea to maybe work into it and also tried to finish out the last few paragraphs of the chapter so I can move on. all the time thinking, first draft, edit later, just get it on the page, grr, it's not working, whyyyyyy...... >_o but yeah. hopefully I'll be able to get into a better writing groove soonish. :P
    AND I GET TO SEE OYANERS THIS MONTH AT THE HOMESCHOOL CONFERENCE!!! *HAPPY DANCES* so that's exciting. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES IKR IT TOTALLY IS
      AWWW WELL THANKS GLAD YOU LIKE IT XD
      EEK THANKS FOR THAT ALSO
      too late, I'm deaf now. :P

      SAME. Mellow is a pretty good word for my March also. *nods* Oh noooo SAT is scary haha- glad it's over for you. YEESSS YOU NEED TO ADD MORE TO THE CHAPTER. Burn the perfectionism, Krystal! XD (are you doing Camp? Because that could help)
      Super fun! :D Tell them I said hi lol :P

      Delete
    2. whoops... *restores hearing* :P

      *burns perfectionism* *it regenerates and stalks me for life* *facedesk* (I'm not, too many things going on that I don't think I'd be consistent enough... o.o) but as of about Friday, I finished that chapter. I'm not super happy with it, but that's something to work on LATER. XD onwards to chapter two. :D
      hehe, will do. :P

      Delete
  3. I have no idea what I read in March outside of school. And for school, I read The Scarlet Pimpernel. And OH MY GOODNESS IT WAS SO GOOD. *flails*
    I'm doing Camp. My goal is 60,000 words *gulp*, but I've already got 6000 words on day one, so 1/10 done already. Yay!
    Good luck editing your projects!
    thefloridsword.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY WORD YEES. I love the Scarlet Pimpernel! I haven't read it in aaageeesss though- I should totally reread.
      Heeey you got this! Plus if you've got a nice head start you have the freedom to get a little behind if life gets too busy. xD
      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Yep. To doing camp. I'm doing camp. (Goodness, my comment is off to a great start...)
    I really needed something to push me to write. And, honestly, Camp NaNo appears to be the best way to get myself writing. I'm really hoping to get my new book I'm working on over 60,000 by the time camp is finished and then maybe pull off finishing at least the writing part by the end of summer. But...with school and adulting we'll have to see if I can pull it off. *sigh*
    I'd tell you all the things as you requested...but that would need me to copy and paste my own wrap up post in its entirety here in a comment. Which I'm thinking you probably don't want me to do.
    So in a nut shell: I published my book, bought a car, passed a college course, and got a job. :) And I have a cold. But you probably didn't need to know that so NEVER MIND MY RAMBLING.
    Can't wait to beta read your book! ;) It sounds more fabulous with every snippet you give us. *thumbs up*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. COOL. That should be super fun. :D
      Haha yes Camp NaNo is definitely one of the best things to use to push yourself. YOU CAN DO IT. There's still pleeentttyyy of time left in the summer. Don't disappoint me. xD
      *goes to stalk your wrap-up post instead*
      Oh. Wow. Um. *is mindblown that so much happened* XD
      THANKS SO MUCH. Super glad it sounds interesting!
      *for real leaves to go stalk your post now*

      Delete
  5. Ahhh dude I feel like you haven't been posting much lately? YOU SHOULD POST MORE CAUSE I NEED THE JONATHAN'S WORDS XP But also editing is harrrrd and sooo time consuming o.o I AGGRESSIVELY LOVE THE GTW BOOK. THAT IS THE BEST THING EVER. I refer to it over and over again each time I start edits on a new project :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOOOW IT'S BECAUSE I HAVE NOT BEEN. D: XD I've only done like 3 posts each month this year?? *gasp* Obviously this must be fixed.
      YESS GTW WAS FANTASTIC. So helpful! :D

      Delete
  6. "I didn't get much reading done this month" he says. Good grief. I WISH seven books was my "not much reading". You guys and your reading time. XD

    Unfortunately, I don't have the time to participate in Camp NaNo this year, as much as I really wanted to. Which is sucky. Sigh. We can be lame together though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL WELL IT WASN'T MUCH FOR ME. XD Normally I read in the car- and we live in the middle of nowhere so that works well haha.

      Aahhh I feel your pain. D: We can totally be lame together though. XD

      Delete
  7. Oh boy. Camp NaNo. I keep telling myself I'm going to do it and don't follow through haha.

    But I'm honestly looking forward to editing - good luck with your stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSS you must do it. It's the best. XD

      Haha thanks! Same to you! :D

      Delete
  8. JONATHAN HELLO
    ahhhhhhh. camp nano *cries because we can't take over the world with our epic cabin*
    But hey, we can always do July.
    ALSO I WANT MORE OF YOUR BOOK BECAUSE THAT SNIPPET THO IT WAS GOLDEN YESSSSSSSSS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HANNAH HELLO
      I knooow. much sadness. xD Yes we must do July though haha
      WELL THANKS SO MUCH. I'm so glad people like it :D

      Delete
  9. BUT SERIOUSLY THAT WOULD BE THE BEST ENDING FOR LOL. XD

    Also, if you want, for your juggling writing schedule posts stuff...I can put together the 'advertisement' in a separate file/video thing from my vlog and send it to you, if you want to use it. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that would be the best *cough*prank*cough* ending ever. XD

      hmm, you could do a how-it-should-have-ended story. :P

      Delete
    2. YES IT WOULD HAVE BEEN. XD (@Krystal truuue like a 'how it could have ended according to Jane' XP)

      Oh haha- that's okay. :D I'm still not entirely sure if I'm even going to be able to get that post in at all this month XD

      Delete
  10. I am SOO excited for The Raven Project. Good luck on the 2nd draft! And good job on The Library Of Lies (which is also epic, by the way. I can tell.)!
    I am doing Camp this month... and on the first day, I wrote 5,500 words... but the second my family and I went fishing. :) So, I caught 4 fish, but I didn't reel in any word count. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks because I'm going to need it. :P (glad you like them both!! :D)
      COOL that's fun! (both the fishing and the writing haha)

      Delete
  11. Oh, you've got the weird weather to? The calendar says it's spring, so WHY IS THERE SNOW ON THE GROUND! Don't get me wrong, I like snow, but I'm kinda ready for some warmer weather.

    You read seven books? That's better than I did. I only read five. Again. But two of them were beta reads so...

    I'm doing Camp NaNo this month. This is my first time doing it, but I'm not in a cabin (I actually only decided that I'm going to do it like, today :P). And I set a goal for 10K, which may or may not change.

    I hope you have a great April! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES WE DO AND I HATE IT. XD We've also gotten stuck at our house a few times recently. Bleh. I need Summer haha. xP

      Yup! Well, five is pretty good also- especially if you beta read. :D

      HEY COOL. My unofficial goal is 10k also- and I'm not in a cabin either. *high five* We can be mercenary, cabin-less NaNoers together haha.

      Same to you!

      Delete
  12. I'm not doing Camp NaNo this time, sadly. :( April is crazy for us. Hopefully I'll be able to do it for the first time in July! Eep. *runs to start outlining FRANTICALLY.* Good luck with the editing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love it! :D I'm also really looking forwards to July (and hoping I can do NaNo then hehe) Thanks!

      Delete
  13. Sheesh! I have to pick ONE book from this whole past month??! That is IMPOSSIBLE! I guess . . . it's a tie between Prophet by R.J. Larson and Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie. Have you ever read either of those? If not, I highly recommend both! Hope you make it through Camp NaNo intact and sane. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MWAHAHA YES. XD I haven't read either of those, but I have heard of them- I'll have to add them to my tbr. :D

      Delete
  14. I just had a very unproductive month. Only read two books. boo :(

    ReplyDelete