This Changes Everything by Jaquelle Crowe // How the Gospel Transforms the Teen Years

GUYS. We've got a book review today! And I'm PARTICULARLY excited about this one because it's written by a teenage author. HOW COOL IS THAT? Plus, I waited for this to release for a loooong time, so basically now I'm just forcing some of my excitement on you guys. xD

Also, on a sidenote, I'm not completely failing at my goal of posting one review a month. #win Even if occasionally I do end up sneaking the review in... very close to the end of the month... *coughs*



(GUYS LOOK AT ME BEING A PHOTOGRAPHER XD ) 

The teen years have been hijacked—by fashion, music, movies, and games; by the pressures of school, peers, and society; and by superficial expectations set by the world. But there is something more glorious than all these influences that has the power to change the life of a teenager: the gospel. Written by a teenager for teenagers, This Changes Everything is a deeply theological yet practical and accessible book on how the gospel radically transforms every aspect of the teen years, including pursuing relationships, managing time, combating personal sin, and cultivating healthy habits. In a culture awash with low expectations for young people, this book exhorts teenagers to embrace a gospel-centered perspective on their lives and pursue wholehearted devotion to Christ now.

I know the majority of my followers are probably Christians. You probably already know what the Gospel means and what it's all about. But I'm not going to assume anything- because I might have followers that aren't Christian. I might have people that are wondering "What's the big deal about this whole Gospel thing, anyways?" 

First of all, this book is absolutely right: the Gospel does transform us. It takes our sin and exchanges that out for Christ's righteousness. (1 Corinthians 5:21) It takes the judgement upon us and exchanges that out for grace. (Romans 3:23-24) It takes our lack of purpose and meaning and exchanges that out for eternal hope. (1 John 5:13-14) 

Truly, the Gospel does transform the lives of anyone it touches. And I've got something to tell you: your life can be changed also. Here's how. 

1. Realize that you're a sinner. 

Romans 3:10-12 - As it is written, there is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. 

ALL of us have done some things wrong in our lives. We've lied. We've harbored rebellion in our hearts. We've broken God's law. 

2. Realize you face judgement for your sins. 

Hebrews 9:27 - And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

Everyone has just one life to live. After that, we face judgement from a righteous, holy God. And we just saw that we've broken His law- multiple times. It doesn't look good. 

3. Christ paid for your sins. 

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

THERE'S GOOD NEWS. You couldn't pay for your sins on your own. There was no way. BUT. God in His mercy sent His only Son into the world so that you wouldn't have to pay the price for your sins.

4. Ask Christ to save you. 

Romans 10:9-10 - That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. (also you can pretty much just read all of Romans 10 for more on this) 

Pray, ask Christ to save you, and repent of your sins! Then, live a transformed life as you strive to please and honor Him out of love and gratitude. :D 

I hope that makes sense, and if ANYONE has ANY questions, I have a contact form that goes straight to my inbox, so don't hesitate to shoot me an email!


First off, I'm just going to go ahead and tackle the elephant in the room: YES, THE AUTHOR IS A CALVINIST. And no, I am not. However, despite the fact that I respectfully disagree with her theology, it didn't prove to be a big issue for me in the book. 

There's hardly anything in here about Calvinism. A few references to Reformed beliefs in Chapter 2, but nothing major at all. So even though I disagree with the theology of the author, I'm rating and reviewing the book apart from that factor since it didn't come through a whole lot in the book. 

Now that we've got that out of the way: THIS. BOOK. WAS. INCREDIBLE. WOW. It's one of my new favorites and it's a book I think EVERYONE should read, especially Christian teens. 

Jaquelle has a lot to say- and she says it. She doesn't shy away from hard topics or write to make you feel good about yourself. She writes to challenge you. In world where Christian (using the word LOOSELY XD) self-help books oftentimes become NYT bestsellers, this book contains solid biblical principles. It encourages humility and a hatred of sin, and puts God first. 

This Changes Everything was just about a perfect balance between convicting and inspiring. Like I said before, it's not a "feel good" type of book at all, but it still inspired me to focus more on Christ now

Jaquelle uses examples to make the concepts clear and easy to understand, and she has a way of explaining her points in a concise, logical fashion that makes sense. Never did I have to think to myself "I wonder what she meant by that." 

Also, this was SUPER PRACTICAL WHICH I LOVE. It doesn't just tell us that we should live for Christ- it gives us solid, concrete tips on how to live for Christ.

5 shining stars. Despite theological discrepancies with the author, this was honestly incredible. So put down whatever you're doing and GO READ THIS. XD



SO YES LONG POST HERE. Basically what I should have expected when I blended a sermon with a book review. xD Has anyone else read this? What were your thoughts?  


~ Jonathan 


Share this:

,

CONVERSATION

15 comments:

  1. Nice review, Jonathan. :) Yes, God has payed for our sins- and the gift of Life is to live every day with and for HIM! Sounds like a cool book, glad to see you liked it.
    Also, I see Beowulf and The Bronze Bow on your shelf. Duude. Epic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yup, absolutely. :D Hope you give it a shot sometime!
      *high fives*

      Delete
  2. Great review! I haven't read this yet, but I want to. Even more now that I've read your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeesss you definitely should read it, I think you would like it :D

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this book yet, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. Thanks for sharing this review!

    https://tizziestidbits.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that's because it's fantastic :D No problem, glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  4. This is going onto my TBR list.
    What petals of TULIP don't you agree with?
    (*ahem* as usual I was probably the only one who that was funny.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *nods approvingly* Good life choice xD
      Um... *coughs* all of them. :P At least I think so... I might not /ENTIRELY/ disagree with /ALL/ of them but I believe the basic tenants of each are unbiblical. :D
      (hehehe)

      Delete
    2. Explain, further please. Don't mean to be argumentative, just curious. . .
      But you're not Armenian, right (think I spelled that right)?
      As far as the basic definition of them I agree with all of them, but apparently some of the modern Calvinist leaders say things like limited atonement means Jesus died only for the elect (which John 1:9) and the world in John 3:16 is only the elect. These things are reading doctrine into the text which I obviously wouldn't agree with.
      Well, if the Bible is where you get your theology then I guess there won't be much difference essentially between what we believe.

      Delete
    3. Nope, I'm pretty sure I'm not Armenian! :D I'm dispensational haha. What I mean is that while I might not disagree with certain /aspects/ of each letter (like, for example, I don't believe you can't lose your salvation, I just don't agree with how Calvinists reach that conclusion) I disagree with most of the main /tenants/ of each. Although I guess that doesn't include P... because "Perseverance of the Saints" pretty much just means you can't lose your salvation...? I think? So in that case I guess I would agree with one haha

      Delete
  5. Dude, your last name is Trout...

    That's all I have to say. *ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING MY HEAD OFF*

    P.S. Not in a mean way. I love fishkeeping, so that was pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete