The Lost Posts // A Behind the Scenes Look at how I Blog + 10 Post Ideas that Haven't Seen the Light of Day

WOW LOOK AT THAT TITLE. You're probably wondering: What on earth is this post going to be about and why on earth does it have such a long title??? 

LET ME EXPLAIN. Basically today you guys are getting an inside look at my blogging brain (don't worry if it doesn't make sense to you, it really doesn't make sense to me either so we're all good there) AND you're getting a peek at a handful of post ideas I have up my sleeve. Then you get to pick what you want me to post about next!

CHOOSE WISELY BECAUSE THIS IS ONLY HAPPENING ONCE.




PHASE 1: THE IDEA

This is when a metaphorical light bulb appears above my head. Typically this happens while I'm in the shower, or mowing the lawn, or lying in bed at midnight thinking deep thoughts, or any time when I can't immediately access my computer. Because that's how inspiration works. 

PHASE 2: THE DRAFT FILE

By this I just mean that in my blogger dashboard I hit "new post", type my blog post idea into the title box, and click "save". So it's not actually writing the draft. It's just filing the idea away with my other drafts for when I feel inspired to write it. 

Which... isn't usually for at least a month. Surprise! XD This means at any given time I probably have at least five post ideas in my dashboard. (don't ask because idk how my brain works either) After about a month of having the idea filed peacefully away in my dashboard, I'll see it sometime and go "OHEY I FORGOT ABOUT THAT AND IT'S SUCH A GOOD IDEA." 

Currently I have 17 drafts in this phase and I have no idea how that happened. Actually, this post was in my draft file for at least a few months before I dusted it off. 

PHASE 3: THE INTRO

This is when I actually sit down in front of my computer and spend a substantial amount of time working on a post idea. And by "substantial amount of time" I mostly mean that I write the intro. *nods* (which TOTALLY takes up a substantial amount of time- just ask any blogger) 

PHASE 4: THE GRAPHICS

MY FAVORITE PART. I always design my graphics BEFORE I start the main body of the post. For some reason I can't write the post until I have at least the main graphic done? It's strange. Very strange. 

This phase mainly involves Canva and Unsplash and lots and lots of tweaking. I reaaallly like graphics so if I have time I try to make mine PERFECT. Normally I have to limit myself or I'll just play with the graphic for way too long and never get around to writing the actual post. Whoops. 

PHASE 5: THE WRITING OF THE POST

FINALLY, RIGHT? Now that I have most of my graphics in place and I've written my intro, I'm ready to sit down and tackle the actual post. 

Now: I never do this in one sitting. Never. All of my posts take me at least a couple of days to write. I'll sit down, work on the post for a while, then stop. Randomly. Whenever I feel like it. (don't ask why I do this because I have no clue) The next day, I'll work on some more of the post. And some more the next day. And the next day. Until FINALLY  the post is done. 

A lot of the time I have more than one post in this phase at the same time. Like right now I have... seven? I haven't worked on most of them in more than a month though so those ones are on the back burner for now.

PHASE 6: THE READ OVER

AKA: EDITING. It's just a very, very, VERY light edit though. Basically I read it over once or twice to make sure the spacing is right (sometimes it gets all funky??) and that there's no incredibly obvious typos. I don't go over it with a fine tooth comb because I don't have time for that and my style is pretty informal anyways. Besides, you guys will forgive me for typos... right? 

PHASE 7: THE PUBLISHED POST

Although it can definitely take a while before I hit "publish." I have to get up the nerve to finally hit the button, then I have to make sure the formatting is still right (sometimes it goes funky after I hit publish??? IDK GUYS MY BLOG HAS WEIRD SPACING SOMETIMES). 

Then the post appears in you guys's feeds if you follow me through blogger. The next day, it appears in your emails if you follow me by email. (the email always goes out late but I have no clue why so) 

PHASE 8: THE COMMENTS 

MY FAVORITE PART. This is where you guys come in! You leave a bunch of fantastic, awesome comments and I get to read them and reply to them. Fun times. 



Then after all of that, I start over. Or I grab a post from my draft file and start working on it. :D




1. Something about how to make your blog more professional. (because I like to think that I sorta kinda know about this. hahaha. humor me.) 

2. Something about dealing with stress.

3. Something about my favorite writing resources. 

4. A post about myths people have about writers. 

5. A post about how to write a good book review. 

6. Something about why National Novel Editing Month should be a thing.

7. Something about what you'll need in order to survive NaNo. (I mean everyone does this but if you want me to do it also I can because I AIM TO PLEASE.) 

8. Something about why I'm not a fan of Myers-Briggs. (oohhhh. controversy. yikes.)

9. Something about all my favorite GIANT books because I love giant books. (or at least I do when I'm not behind on my reading challenge... *awkward cough*)

10. Something about God and Millennials. 


Yes I made them all fairly vague ON PURPOSE. I actually have official titles for most of them but nooooo of course I'm not posting those here. You'll have to wait, mwahaha. 

So I'll probably be posting MOST of these even if none of them get any votes. But: REMEMBER MY DRAFT FILE. It could be anywhere from two months to six months before some of these get posted. 


Also disclaimer time: You guys do have the power to influence me here but I'm making NO PROMISES. XD Just because a certain post idea gets the most votes doesn't mean it will 100% show up next on the blog. If I can make it work, I will do so, but no promises. 


SO WHICH ONE(S) DO YOU WANT TO SEE FIRST? Which one(s) are you most interested in? How do you write your blog posts? :D 


Share this:

,

CONVERSATION

34 comments:

  1. ooh, the one about stress. It's something I struggle with a lot, so I would love to hear your tips on managing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAME THOUGH. xD Hopefully I'll be able to bring something biblical to the table :D

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I like your new signature! :) And wow, that's a long process for making blog posts. If I'm feeling truly inspired to make a post I usually write it right away and publish it the same day. But I haven't been posting a ton on my blogs lately, so... XD
    All those posts sound great, honestly! I think the NaNoWriMo ones and numbers 2 and 8 sound the most intriguing to me. Though I am also interested in number 10 ;)
    ~Jaclynn~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I figured it was time for me to make one since everyone else seems to have one. xD
      RIGHT? I feel the same way haha. I didn't know you had a blog though! What's the link?
      Alright got it *thumbs up* :D

      Delete
    2. Oh, sure! It's - http://www.littlemissfluffet.com :)
      ~Jaclynn~

      Delete
  3. The NaNo ones, the millennials ones, and the Meyers-Briggs one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of all of those posts, but the God and Millennials is intriguing me the most. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. #4 or #10 for the "next" post.
    Okay, Phase one is literally me. Ideas only come when you can't write them down because inspiration has a sense of humor.

    YOU DON'T LIKE MEYERS-BRIGGS?!!!

    EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT NANO and I'm just sitting here like, "Nope!"
    Why is everyone obsessed with it? (That was slightly rhetorical, but if you the have the answer, feel free to share.)XD

    Great post. Really describes how posting works. :D

    ~Ivie
    iviewrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAME IT'S SO TRUE. A lot of the time it's mowing for me. *nods*

      WELL NO NOT REALLY BUT THAT'S A LONG STORY

      NaNo is awesome though!!! I LOOOVED doing it last year, it was so much fun and I got soooo much writing done. I'm hoping to do it again this year but if I do do it I'll be editing, not writing a whole new novel (hence idea #6 xD) YOU SHOULD TRY IT. Even if you don't think you can make it to 50k, November is a great month to set yourself a personal goal- because you know everyone else is also setting goals and that can be super motivating.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  6. so interesting!!! definitely myths people have about writers (those always crack me up) xD and myers-briggs! can't wait!!

    sophy of sophyslighthouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Alright thanks for your feedback, I'll keep it in mind :D

      Delete
  7. Behind the scenes stuff is awesome *thumbs up* but 17 drafts, wat o.o XD

    (also, I like the new signature thingy *nods*)

    hmm, posts...maybe the one about stress(b/c that seems to be a HUGE thing this year, who knew o.<), and the myths about writers(b/c that just sounds like a fun post, and believe me, with the stress stuff, a fun post is a life*cough*I mean day-saver XD), and the MBTI one(b/c I'm also...not convinced of the whole thing...idk how to describe it XP). But honestly, they all sound good, so go for it. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW. I have no idea how I got so many...? After I counted them up I was like "Wait do I /REALLY/ HAVE 17???" XD

      (thanks! I fiiinaaallyyyy added one haha)

      Saaame for me with stress- it must be a senior year thing? And fun posts are awesome also, I haven't done very many of those lately. Also yes I need to get the MBTI one finished and posted because I've been working on it on and off for like... a few months now... xD

      Delete
  8. All of those are fantastic ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm interested in 4, 5, and 10, but 10 is my highest vote! God and Millennials. XD

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to see 8 or 10! Super curious about what you have to say on both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm those two do seem like they're the two most popular... :D

      Delete
  11. Nice post! *thumbs up*

    ~ Abby {novelsdragonsandwardrobedoors.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  12. My process is actually quite similar to yours. XD Whenever I get an idea, I just type in the title and then leave it. I think I have about fiveish in the draft file. :P I do the same thing with editing my blog posts. Just I only read through it once, hit "publish", then I read it on my blog so that I can see it how everyone else will see it. It also helps to find typos I missed before.

    All of those sound so interesting!! I choose #2 because I've actually been like super stressed a lot lately (also tired. And in case you didn't know, those two together is a BAD combo). #8 because I used to be like obsessed with Myers Briggs. Not nearly as much anymore, but I still find some stuff interesting. And #10 because it sounds like it would be really good! Like I'm so intrigued by it! XD

    Great post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ack all of these sound so good! *flails* 2, 5, 6, and 8 probably interest me the most, but I hope you end up doing all of them eventually! I want to hear what you have to say on them.

    I must confess - I scrolled up halfway through righting this comment to see if you had removed your mbti type from your bio. :P But seriously, though, this is one I'm super interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I started writing this comment to tell you which posts I liked the sound of best, but then I basically rambled on for a century and ended up going in a full circle and giving lenthy reasons of why I wanted to read them alllll. XD SO I'll just skip all of that and tell you GO WRITE THEM, 'KAY. XP

    I write my blog posts very similar to this actually. xP I get an idea and jot it down, save the draft and leave it there for a while before actually writing the thing. Except recently people have started asking me these brilliant questions which I all have saved as drafts too because now I'm a wealth of all knowledge apparently so writerly questions are all coming my way. XD

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi!!! *awkward wave* I recently discovered your blog and I really like it!!!
    Your design is so cool and I love your signature :D I'm very curious to learn your thoughts on #2 and #9. (Also, I just spent the last two hours reading through your old posts and I still haven't gotten to the end. Hopefully that does not sound stalkerish hehe)

    -Lilah
    lilahsmusicals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. MYER BRIGGS BECAUSE I HAVE A FRIEND WHO LOVES IT SO MUCH DO THIS ONE I WANTS TO KNOW

    ReplyDelete
  17. I vote #1 and #6, but I'd love to see all of them eventually! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE THIS POST SO MUCH.

    My drafts box is insane. I literally have 46 posts in there right now, it's ridiculous. xD I love your ideas so much! I think my favorites are 1, 6, 7, and 8!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. how about the ones I don't want to see?
    8.
    8.
    8.
    8.

    ReplyDelete
  20. #1, #3, and #8 would be awesome. xD They're all great ideas, though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have a similar approach, except my drafts completely change as I post once a week and always need new material. Currently I have 20+ scheduled posts and 12 drafts (I think). And graphics are important!!!! I use to use Pic Monkey but now they aren't free... so I'm looking for another place ;p


    As for a post.. I'd really like some controversy on mbt ;) I'm actually planning two posts myself on meyers briggs.. the first on why I love it, the second on why I hate it ;p

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post bro! I think that you should either do #4 or#9

    ReplyDelete